The day before
- Defrost, clean and air out your refrigerator.
- Clean your stove.
- Make sure you have payment ready for the mover.
- Get a simple breakfast ready for the next morning.
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Get a good night’s sleep!
- Strip your beds.
- Show movers around.
- Make sure your removal team to have an inventory of all items to be relocated.
- Get all keys together and put them in a safe spot.
- Make sure the removal van driver has correct address, phone number and directions.
- Check all rooms one last time.
- Remember closets and cupboards and the garage!
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
Two Weeks before Moving
Pack your vital documents in one place:
- Military records
- Mortgage records
- Marriage licence
- Birth certificates
- Vehicle titles
- Stock certificates
- Insurance papers
- Bank records
- School records
- Medical records
- Tax records
One Week before Moving
Plan what goes in the car with you:
- Toys and games for kids
- Special breakable items or collections
- Important documents and records
- Change of clothes and toiletries for your first day
- Vacuum cleaner – if you want to clean right away
- Toilet paper
- First aid kit
- Food kit with bottled water, cereal, bananas
Make travel arrangements for your pets and plants.
Purchase moving insurance if you have valuable antiques and collections.
Have your car tuned up.
One Month before Moving
Check that your furniture will fit in the vehicle ordered.
If necessary you can either change to a larger vehicle or order two trucks.
Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office and fill out:
- Friends and family
- Banks Insurance companies
- Credit card companies Magazines and newspapers – cancel local newspaper delivery
- Doctors, dentists and other healthcare providers – transfer drug prescriptions